How Many Batteries Are In a Golf Cart?
An electric golf cart will have either 4, 6 or 8 golf cart batteries and will have either a 36 volt or 48 volt electrical drive system.
How to Determine Golf Cart Voltage (36V or 48V)
1) Lift up your golf cart seat to locate the battery compartment.
2) Count the number of holes on a battery
- Usually 3, 4 or 6 holes
3) Multiply the number of holes by 2 to determine the golf cart battery voltage
- Each hole/cell is equal to 2 volts
4) Multiply the golf cart battery voltage by the total number of golf cart batteries
Batteries for a 36 Volt Golf Cart (6V Batteries):
3 holes X 2 volts = 6 volt battery
6 volt battery X 6 total batteries = 36 volt system
Batteries for a 48 Volt Golf Cart (8V Batteries)
4 holes X 2 volts = 8 volt battery
8 volt battery X 6 total batteries = 48 volt system
48 Volt Golf Cart Voltage Example (12V Batteries)
6 holes X 2 volts = 12 volt battery
12 volt battery X 4 total batteries = 48 volt system
If you have additional questions about your batteries or charger, check out our Battery Charger Frequently Asked Questions page.
If you are looking to buy a new or replacement automatic golf cart battery charger for your Club Car, EZGO or Yamaha golf cart, you can shop right here:
- Club Car Charger
- EZ-GO Charger
- Yamaha Charger
- 48 Volt Charger
- 42 Volt Charger
- 36 Volt Charger
- 24 Volt Charger
- Onboard Charger
- You can also browse our Lester Electrical Golf Cart Battery Chargers.
- If you need new batteries, check out our selection.