A golf cart is the ideal vehicle to roam around with. Most base golf cart models are open-air, which is great on a nice day, but not in bad weather. If you want to use your golf cart on rainy or sunny days, you might need to consider installing a windshield on the cart. The golf cart windshield is a great accessory to add style, comfort, and safety to your golf cart.
In this article, we'll take you through a few interesting facts to know about buying and taking care of golf cart windshields.
How to Determine Which Windshield to Buy?
You'll need to figure out your golf cart make, model, and year. The thickness of the golf cart windshield is generally 3/16" or 1/4". The thicker the windshield, the more resistant it is to damage.
There are different types of windshields available on the market, ranging in thickness and color. Deciding which one is best for you will be based on your driving conditions, personal preferences, and budget.
Golf Cart Windshield Material
Golf cart windshields can be made from acrylic glass, polycarbonate material, or a mixture of both. Acrylic is a strong plastic and the primary material for a golf cart windshield. It is not highly durable but is more scratch-resistant.
Polycarbonate is a strong material that is more durable but less stretch resistant.
Some windshields are made of acrylic and polycarbonate, so it offers more resistance than acrylic alone and more scratch-resistant than polycarbonate alone.
Types and Styles of Golf Cart Windshields
- Roll-up Windshield: Roll-up windshields are flexible. This windshield can keep you safe from wind and rain. The great thing is they are easy to set up and take down.
- Fold-Down Windshield: Fold down windshields are more sturdy than roll-up windshields. These windshields can be folded up or down to allow some wind to flow into the cart. These windshields are designed as two pieces that fold down on a hinge to open the golf cart up a little. You'll also get the option of UV- protected hinges In a fold-down windshield.
- One-Piece Windshield: One-piece windshields look like fold-down windshields, but they come in one solid piece. You cannot fold it in half as you can with the fold-down option.
- Winged Windshield: Winged windshields are made to deal with both wind and rain, blocking passengers from the elements.
Cleaning Golf Cart Windshields
A golf cart windshield that you can’t see clearly through is worthless, so it's essential to keep your windshield clean for aesthetics and safety. Keeping your golf cart windshield clean will help to extend its life and also make driving safer.
But, cleaning a golf cart windshield is not the same as cleaning a car windshield.
- Do not use newspapers or paper towels to wipe the windshields. These materials can scratch the windshield and reduce visibility. Use a soft cloth to dry the windshield.
- Avoid using glass cleaners and other chemicals like insect repellent for your golf cart windshield. These cleansers can permanently fog up your windshield. Always use a cleaner made specifically for the golf cart windshield.
- If you are running out of golf cart windshield cleaner, use mild soap and warm water. After cleaning it, wipe it with a soft cloth.
How to Deal with Scratches on a Windshield?
To deal with minor scratches on your windshield, use windshield polish that helps to recover from scratches. For deep scratches, gently buff out the scratches using light grade sandpaper. You can also use soft scrub to remove scratches.
Need Some Help Choosing a Golf Cart Windshield?
At Golf Cart Garage, we carry different windshields for all the popular carts from Club Car, E-Z-GO, and Yamaha. If you have a question regarding the golf cart windshield or any other golf cart accessories, call us at 800-401-2934 to talk to an expert.
Published February 1, 2021 by Golf Cart Garage