There may be instances where used golf cart parts make better economic sense at the time, but you need to go through the pros and cons before making a final decision. The most significant risk in buying used golf cart parts (or even a used golf cart) is that you may not know the history of what you are getting.
What is a Used Golf Cart Part?
Used or second-hand golf cart parts are usually harvested from retired golf carts or accident carts that still have functioning parts. These parts are suitable for specific models. Now, let's discuss the pros and cons of used cart parts.
Pros of Used Golf Cart Parts
- Budget-Friendly: Anything that cuts down your price and still gives you the same quality is the best. Used golf cart parts are generally cheaper than new golf cart parts, which is why some buyers prefer them.
- Available in Great Variety: There are usually many options available for used golf cart parts, so you have a broader range to choose from in terms of price and quality.
Cons of Used Golf Cart Parts
- Inconsistent Quality: In buying used golf cart parts, you need to identify and evaluate the parts. With used golf cart parts, there can be questions regarding reliability and value. Since these used parts have already served a part of their lifespan, they might not be as durable and reliable as new ones. If you don't know much about golf cart parts, you might need the help of a mechanic.
- Shorter or No Warranty: Unlike new golf cart parts, used parts may offer no warranty, but ultimately that depends on the seller. If there is a warranty, chances are it will be short or limited.
- Overwhelming Selection: Details about used golf cart parts can flood your mind, and if you are a first-time buyer, the experience can be pretty overwhelming. Do not always go after the cheapest offer. Instead, go with the seller you feel would offer the most help.
Should You Buy Used Golf Cart Parts?
There is no doubt that used golf cart parts offer a more economical option than brand new parts. But, you do not want to buy used parts blindly. If you know about golf carts and golf cart parts and are skilled at assessing used parts, go for it. If not, think before you buy.
What You Need to Know Before Buying Used Golf Cart Parts
Buying used parts can be tricky, especially if you're new to them. Keep in mind these tips for a smart buy.
Know Your Cart Details
To buy the right golf cart part, all you need to do is get the make, model, and year of your golf cart. Locating your serial number is very important. Visit our golf cart resource section to learn more.
Find a Seller
Once you gather all the required information about your golf cart, you will have to look for the right seller. Finding the right seller can be challenging because anyone can set up an ad on eBay or Craigslist, which doesn't mean there are no trustworthy sellers on those sites. There are, but you need to find them, and that takes some research and experience.
Get the Right Part
You should always be extra careful when buying used parts rather than purchasing brand new ones. Be sure that you got the perfect match for the part you need. Golf cart parts may vary in size and specifications based on the model.
Learn About the History of the Used Part
Some sellers may not be honest when selling you the parts you need. That's why learning the history of the used part is essential so you do not end up having an item that will not last long. Remember, many of these items may undergo "rejuvenation" so that they will look new. It may look perfect but may have hidden cracks or defects that may fail later on.
Ask About Warranty
Warranty is something you will want to consider when buying a used golf cart part. Brand new parts normally come with a warranty when you buy them, so if the part malfunctions, you can replace it. On the other hand, used golf cart part sellers often don't offer warranties. If the seller does not provide any warranty for the part, then you could be wasting your money. You will have to make extra effort to find the right seller.
Ask About Return Policies
One important question you should always ask a used golf cart part seller is whether they allow returns. A return policy indicates that you could return the faulty or damaged part and get your money back. However, it might be hard to find a seller who offers a return policy on used parts.
Learn More About the Used Golf Cart Part
It is essential to learn about the product you plan to buy and ask questions. How old is the part? How long were they used? What is the condition of the part? Does it work well? These all are important questions. Ask all the questions and try to learn as much as possible before you buy. If you can't get the peace of mind you need, it might be best to stick with brand new golf cart parts.
Know that Certain Golf Cart Parts are Best Replaced with Brand New Ones
As a golf cart owner, you must know when to purchase a used golf cart part and when to stick to buying new. Parts you should always get brand new include spark plugs, brake pads, brake rotors, and more. These parts bear a lot of wear and tear, so getting them in used condition is usually a waste of money. For parts that are too expensive, go through the tips mentioned above and make a wise choice.
If you are looking for new parts and accessories to improve your golf cart experience, look no further than Golf Cart Garage! We've got all the best brands, whatever part you may be looking for, at great prices.
The Bottom Line
Make sure to do your homework to know what you are getting for the money you pay. In most cases, people will realize that the perks of buying new parts are worth the extra investment.
Before you settle for a used part, ask us about the benefits of choosing a new golf cart part when you shop with us. Visit our website or get in touch with our customer care team.